5.18.2011

new poet laureate

On May 11, 2011, by proclamation, I was appointed to the honorary position of ‘Poet Laureate of the Town of West Hartford’ (CT). This being my official report of my first week on the job—

I asked the Town Council to annex the City of Hartford (which has no poet laureate) so that my realm might be expanded. [Declined]

I asked that a tiara of emeralds be crafted in the model of a laurel wreath, or, if funds were not available for such jewelry, that fresh laurels could be delivered to my house each week, so that my headdress will always be fresh & green as I go about town reciting poetry to the populace. [Declined]

I asked that a small area in the town library be designated as “Poet’s Corner,” and that this area should be appointed with a lounge chair of Danish design, reserved for my person, and in which I will, from time to time, ensconce myself, so that I may read or write as the spirit moves me, and should I be in need of refreshment, a member of the library staff would be given leave to bring me a Starbucks’ latte. [Declined]

Undeterred by these setbacks, I am determined to dispatch my duties with dignity and panache.

7 comments:

Tom said...

You go! Latte is the LEAST they can do for a laureate of such stature. :)

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon, Your Royal Verseness.
I hope you keep the mandates coming. The powers that be have to beak down sometime.

In the meantime, you have my sincere gratitude for all you do for poetry across the state. Knowing you has made me a better poet.

David Cappella said...

All hail, Royal Versifier! Keep on requesting - and requesting. Personally, I think that you deserve to have a day named in your honor by the Governor. And, as far as poetry and your commitment to it, keep on keepin' on!

Gray said...

Brilliant. By all means. How shortsighted those declines. Clearly your requests reflect the stature of your imagination. Persist. & keep making weekly reports.

Poet Rogue said...

As you take your new position
Did you know there's competition?
Before you don that poet's crown
Poet Rogue is now in town
Happenings in town each week
May get the treatment tongue-in-cheek
Since we're both not getting paid
No one has to feel betrayed
Instead of rivals, I suggest
That each of us will do our best
With serious, satire verse immersed
We quench the town's poetic thirst

West Hartford Poet Rogue

JforJames said...

In Reply to Rogue

What glory I can spare,
my shadow being great,
I’ll gladly let you share
despite your being late.

An actor plays the part,
but can you earn the laurel?
With poem as in a quarrel.
words must prove one's art

Poet Rogue said...

Poet Rogue did talk the talk
And just to show he walks the walk
To see some samples you may go
To Rogues Blog - Link is shown below

http://www.whpoetrogue.blogspot.com/