8.31.2009

ars poetica library - v2009

ARS POETICA LIBRARY- 2009 EDITION
In early 2007, I began compiling a list of poetry-related essays and criticism. Having a large collection of essays and criticism in my own library and with a wish-list at hand to add to my personal holdings, I was off to a good start. In compiling the first version my obsessive compulsive tendencies served me well and the list grew steadily over a couple week period. But it soon became apparent that I would exhaust my resources rather quickly and I knew that other poets would know of more books than I was unaware of. At that point I queried the New Poetry List members for help, with only one requirement: No poetry books per se could be suggested; the books suggested had to related to ‘poetics’ (whether guidebooks/essays/criticism/aphorisms) or more broadly they could be books about art-making or philosophy that might inform the practice of making poems. More good suggestions poured in from the list members. Some duplicating titles I had, but many new ones were suggested. I sorted and culled the additional suggestions and finalized a first version in March of 2007. The first version of the list is posted here.

At first I referred to this list of books as the ‘poet’s ideal library’, with the idea being that such a library, stocked with these titles, would be of interest and of use to many practicing poets. After it became clear that no one list could be comprehensive enough to cover all interests, nor focused enough for those of a particular sensibility, I scrapped the ‘ideal library’ and substituted the broader and more open name of "Ars Poetica Library.” I also made it clear that this list was to be thought of as a ‘work-in-progress’. A list that could be added to and refined as time permitted.

In the last two years books were added, and more titles were suggested to me by various poets, and new books have been published in the intervening period as well. Last weekend I tidied up the new version of the list and dubbed it the Ars Poetica Library – 2009 Edition.

The list of course tilts heavily to the contemporary, and that could be improved upon. So the work goes. And your suggestions are welcomed. My thanks to Anny Ballardini for posting it on her Poets' Corner website.

No comments: